Wednesday, July 2, 2008

When I grow up I want to be a pumper man...

I was on the phone and heard Lincoln yelling outside, I knew there were some city workers out there and expected that he was bothering them. When I got out the worker was coming over to talk to Lincoln (Jared was out working the whole time). I was thinking they were going to have Lincoln back off, but the worker was the nicest guy. He was so excited that Lincoln was excited about his truck and his job. He was a city worker cleaning out the sewer lines.
He gave Lincoln a lesson on how the truck works.
Even compared it to snuffy from sesame street.


Then he let him turn on the fire hydrant, and
eventually turn it off.


The whole time talking to him, asking him
what he likes to do. He didn't even really
talk to Jared and I.

When he saw I had the camera he suggested
Lincoln pretend to be a fireman with the hose.


I love it when adults (men in particular) value the thoughts of little kids. He was genuinely interested in what Lincoln had to say. He was even a little scary looking and I probably would have been worried had I met him just in a store or something. I'm so sad I didn't get his name to write the city a thank you letter. They probably spent at least 15 minutes with Lincoln, just letting him be a little boy. It was really sweet.

When we were walking back in Lincoln said, "Mom, he was so nice to me. I want to be like him when I grow up. I want to be a pumper man. After I'm an astronaut." I told him I thought that was a great idea. :)

Mommy learned a lesson too, I need to trust people just a little bit more.

8 comments:

Regina said...

That's so cool. I bet if you take in a picture to your public works dept they would be able to tell ya. It would probably make his day. Although Lincoln probable already has made his week.

Unknown said...

I was thinking the same thing as Regina about the picture. That really is adorable that he was so nice to Lincoln. I agree it's especially cute when a man takes time to chat with little kids.

Anna said...

I sent a thank you and a pic to the mayor and the director of HR (only emails I could find) :) We'll see if they do anything. It really was cool.

grandma blair said...

What a fun experience for Lincoln, I am glad that guy was so willing to give of his time for Lincoln.

Michelle said...

How cool is that? I think it's funny he didn't talk to you guys just Lincoln, but then again Lincoln can easily control a conversation. :)

Chandie said...

My boys are SO curious and I always appreciate when grown-ups take the time to indulge, too :) Cute story!

Mom B said...

It is hard to ignore a little man like Lincoln! That was nice of you to take the time to send the pics!

Anna said...

Mayor wrote back. Gave me his name and said he would send my email onto his supervisor. :)