Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Update on Baby Girl



Well...Good news, her nose isn't broken. What, oh you didn't hear how exactly one week after the Q-tip incident she fell off of a stair lift onto the track and down thirty stairs where she lay and her mother knew KNEW they would be going to the hospital any second when she saw her. She smacked her nose and head and legs and arms and ribs all really well. I cried as she cried. One day I might get this parenting thing down, but baby girl could make it a little easier on me, honestly this child is going to be the death of me.
(see the swelling)
We knew even if she broke her nose that they couldn't do anything, we were worried about a concussion and woke her every 3 hours that night. She woke up fine so no emergency room visit.:)
But I had too much pride to take my broken nosed baby to church (the swelling and the forming black eyes were too much for me)
I dreaded taking her to the ENT for her follow up to her EAR issue. I knew the ENT was going to call me into family services. Added to my fun Lincoln developed a fever sunday.
Monday came, we went to the ancient ENT and they were kind and didn't judge. But checked her nose and confirmed it wasn't broken. Also gave me the same long lecture on Q-tips while we tried to check Ruby's ear. Two nurses, one dr. and one sad momma held her down trying to check and clean out her ear while she screamed "Oweee Ochie Ochie" Second time I cried as she cried.
They determined she needs to be put to sleep to clean her ear and possible repair the hole on her ear drum. We will do this on MLK day. Small surgery he kept saying, I said, like 15 minutes. He says Maybe an hour because of all the build up. :( My laperscopics are only 45 min!!! Needless to say I am sad, and this is becoming a very expensive Q-tip!
As I had Lincoln with me I had the Dr. check him because of his fever and his sore throat. They don't have the rapid strep test, just the wait 24 hr test. He said if the fever's gone and he's feeling better send him to school. Next day I sent him to school. They called me around 3pm to confirm he in fact DID have strep. So sorry I just infected his whole class. Another point for mother of the year. Kept him home today more out of guilt than anything.
As they were home today they were being so cute playing and Lincoln even taught Ruby how to play football, well almost. Except the tackle part. She bit him, HARD to try and get the ball away. When I asked her if she bit him she gave me the proudest look and said, "Uh Huh" and showed me she got the ball. Her brother was wadded up in the fetal position screaming that Ruby had bit him. I smirked as I put her in time out. :) The fleeting half of a second was gone and the fighting lasted the rest of the day.
Ruby has been very ornery ever since the Ear incident and I don't blame her. She has to take meds twice and day ear drops twice a day all of which are huge tantrums to make happen. she's not sleeping well, so I'm not sleeping well. Damn Q-tip!
We'll make it and pray I survive the "little surgery" on monday. I told Jared I'm not going alone. I'm not that Brave girl I used to be. maybe I never was.......

9 comments:

Eve said...

Wow. I am so sorry about your last couple of weeks (and Ruby's, of course)! Kids will take the bravery right outta you, they know just how to scare their mothers senseless.

red said...

Can Lincoln come play with us on Monday? PLEASE? I'm sorry you have been through all of this. Don't go to the surgery alone. Make Jared bring stuff for you to do while you're waiting. Bring a laptop so you can watch T.V. bring enough stuff to do for the ENTIRE time she will be in there. I almost knocked the nurse over after Violet woke up. The let us go back there and she was crying and they wouldn't let me hold her until they could get another temperature or something like that. SERIOUSLY almost knocked her down. Praying for you. Good luck Mommy. PLEASE let Lincoln come play.

The Johnson Crew said...

Anna what can I say, WOW!! But I can totally relate. I have twin boys, what more can I say.
I feel so bad for little Ruby's ear, that has got to be so painful. I hope the surgery goes well for her. Good luck!!

Le said...

Do we have the same ENT? Ours was a little ancient too. In surgery time is relative, think of the itty bitty space he'll be working in compared to your surgeries and you really do want them to go slow.

Be prepared, you think she's onery now, just wait until the first hour after surgery. They just cry.

I thought I could be all tough and take J to get his tubes by myself while Dan watched the others. It was only a ten minute thing. When it came down to it I couldn't and our kids spent the night before at my parents.

Tad and Liza said...

Oh poor Ruby...I think she will do just fine. If she has to have this done, this is a good age. She will never remeber this.

Cindy said...

Anna, this made me cry. So sorry for all the stress and pain and hurt. But she will be ok, and we'll be thinking of you and little Ruby on Monday. Sorry you've had to deal with all this bad luck for the last couple weeks! Maybe something really good is coming soon :)
P.S. Mommas are allowed to cry too when their kids are really hurting :)

Kirst said...

I'm so sorry about your sweet little girl!!! You are NOT a bad mama--quite the contrary. Good luck with everything. Putting kids under is stressful no matter how "easy" it may be. We had to do it with both my girls and I was a wreck every time. Pray hard and good luck!! :)

Kristine said...

Now I am crying that you were crying because Ruby was crying....poor thing. The little baby Ryan I am watching has bad acid reflux and after living with Melanie I feel sooo bad every time he is shreeking from the pain. I will keep her also in my prayers tomorrow and hope everything goes smoothly. Stay strong all of you and hope Lincoln got over that strep okay :(

Mom B said...

That is hard to go through. Remember Lindsay pushing the tic tacs or fun fruits up her nose? They had to be removed at the Dr, except the one she sniffed out at the store while I was paying for something. Sounds funny now, but it wasn't so funny then...